Monday, March 2, 2009

Music Memory Monday

I have not done a music memory in along time but very early this morning I was giving oldest son a a little driving practice on the way to seminary and this song came on the radio. Normally while he is driving he doesn't like the radio on, but when I went to shut it off, he waved me away and said, "It's okay, this song is nice." I was glad he thought so because I have always loved the Pretenders. Chrissie Hynde has such a unique voice and even at the time when her music was very popular, it never seemed overplayed.
Anyhow, in the early 90s when this song came out and I remember every young girl I knew pledging her undying love to the boyfriend of the minute using this song as the backdrop. All you girls who listened to the radio in 1994 know what I mean. How could you listen to these lyrics and not think, 'FOREVER'. Me? I was a little older, already married, but I thought it was a great song and oh, sooooo romantic.
Today when Joey got out of the car and I watched him amble up to the door of the stake center with this song playing in my car, I started to cry. Really.
Listening today I felt this song had little to do with romantic love, but instead a more maternal or paternal love. I mean read these lyrics.

Oh, why you look so sad? Tears are in your eyes, Come on and come to me now.
Don't be ashamed to cry, Let me see you through, Cause I've seen the dark
side too. And when the night falls on you, And you don't know what to do, Nothing you confess could make me love you less I'll stand by you, I'll stand by you, Won't let nobody hurt you, I'll stand by you.

I don't think it is easy to understand if you have yet to have a child, but let me tell you, there is nothing, nothing, NOTHING that could make me stop loving my kids. I might be sad, disappointed or even angry with them at times, but the love, it never goes away.
I know Carrie Underwood covered this song on American Idol, so a whole new crop of teenage girls are using it to pledge their undying love to Jacob, or Brandon or Trevor. But all the moms (and the dads) know what it is really about.
So I guess I will dedicate this song to Joey, Jenna, Bret and Millie. I'll stand by you.



2 comments:

Vip said...

I love when you do music memories. This one doesn't get to me but it is a good song that I remember. It does remind me of church dances in Wendell. Crazy.

jori-o said...

Aww, reading that totally brought tears to my eyes. I love songs that do double-duty. You should sign the Mr Linky over at my place =)

US

Images from Camp 2008