Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Surprise











Surprise...We are back! Yup, washed out we were! We got up to camp this morning and had just enough time to set up, eat a little snack and take the stake picture before the rain came down. And come down it did. For over 3 hours we fought with pounding rain, hail and a rising river. Our girls huddled under the pavilion and certified while all of the individual ward leaders tried to keep our tents from flooding. We had success with just 2 or 3 of our 9 tents. The rain flies would grow so heavy at times during the storm that water would actually seep in under and pour down onto whatever was below. My bed was the lucky recipient of such a puddle. I spent a few hours digging trenches with a pick axe to try to divert the rising waters. The few photos I have added were taken after the heaviest part of the storm. These 'rivers' you see are running right through our camp site. The pictures really can't even give you a glimpse of what this storm was like. Suffice to say, I have never been so soaking wet in clothes in my life, ever. When the stake decided to let us go on home it was with heavy hearts that we set out. I am so incredibly sad for Millie and the other first years. Tomorrow, weather permitting, we are going to try it again. I so hope we can go and enjoy girls' camp as a stake. So much work has been done and so many little girls have been waiting for this all summer long.

2 comments:

Hailey said...

Hey Doug and Christine,
I ran across your blog on the Bowen's blog. It is fun to check in and see how you are all doing....looks like you are doing great! Christine, I went up to girls camp this year and we were rained out too! Well, I just thought I would say hi and let you know I am occasionally stalking your blog! Take care!

Jill Simmons

The VIPs said...

too bad about your girls camp, mine was this week but we moved out of the ward last week. Glad to have you back blogging though! Our camera is broken so I'm kinda at a stand still..

US

Images from Camp 2008